Friday, February 26, 2016

More and more discounts

I find the pineapple tarts that were sold in the Klang Valley for the CNY celebrations too expensive for me so I did not buy any. Then I went up to Penang and spied with my little eyes a container of pineapple rolls in my sibling's house which I proceeded to attack because they are very tasty, melt in the mouth buttery texture and with sweet sourish pineapple jam fillings.

My sibling then told me that one container costs MYR28.80 and if you buy two, you get MYR10 off so bearing this in mind I went to Queensbay Mall 3 days before CNY and sought out the stall that is selling them. To my delight, they were giving more discounts - MYR8.80 off every container of CNY cookies so after tasting a few types of CNY cookies, I bought one container of pineapple rolls (26 rolls) for MYR20 and one container of cheese pineapple rolls for MYR22 (26 rolls) after MYR8.80 off each of them.

When my sibling heard that there were more discounts, I was urged to buy more so we went again 2 days before CNY and the price was down to MYR15 per container of CNY cookies. To my disappointment, all the pineapple rolls were sold out but all was not lost for there were pineapple balls cookies left with 28 balls in a case for MYR15 only. What a steal! So I bought another two cases. The main difference between the rolls and balls is that the balls have more pastry dough.

Now I still have a few left of each and I am treating them like gold. Eating only one each every 2 days to make them last longer.

4 in the end

Do you like cheesy pineapple rolls?

MYR8.80 off making them MYR22 and MYR20 each after discounts.

Instead of 6 rolls each layer, they give only 5 rolls with a plastic roll in the middle.

7 balls for each layer making it 28 balls in a case

It does not taste as dry as it looks.

From MYR26.80 to MYR15 - What a steal! Keep the best for last. I will look out for this stall again next CNY.

26 comments:

  1. The pineapple rolls look so so delicious.. I prefer the rolls, but if habis already, I don't mind the balls.. RM15 per jar is very very cheap already, and yes, current market price for a big jar of pineapple tart is RM28..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see some shops still selling the leftovers now at above MYR30.

      Delete
  2. Never seen cheesy versions! Sounds real good though.

    That's the thing with trying to buy later to get clearance prices. You either get cheap or you get nothing. :) Your post reminds me that I also bought CNY cookies at let-go prices last year. This year no chance (or maybe I'd find some this weekend?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, sometimes all sold out so get nothing.

      Delete
  3. Not easy to make these pineapple tarts. Moreover the pineapple price had increased .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pineapple tarts too! This year I bought one container and was given two by my in-laws... I only have a few left since CNY...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bargain! Now you can enjoy your cookies to your heart's delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fresh juicy pineapple and pineapples in curries or in cooking. But I just do not know how to enjoy pineapple tarts. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. Then you will not fight me for the pineapple tarts.

      Delete
  7. great discounts and you should have bought more!!! pineapple tart at RM0.7692 each, cheesy pineapple tart at RM0.8462 each and the pineapple balls even cheaper at RM0.5357 each!! yummy yummy, how many left now?? :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw some CNY cookies left at a mall, not much...and not on offer. I would want to buy some Mandarins if they're on cheap sale, went in search of them but no, all sold out. The few old wrinkled ones that I have left in the house are so very very sweet and so so so juicy, so much nicer than when we first bought them, dunno why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is also like that. Will be sweeter the longer you keep them. I think the sellers returned the mandarin oranges to the suppliers for the unsold ones.

      Delete
  9. Our CNY snacks got many leftover and I am trying to clear the stock by helping to eat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can help you eat them. Pleaae send some over, thank you. Hehehehe. :)

      Delete
  10. What the..?! How the hell can you ration CNY cookies??! That is an impossible feat for me! I will resolve to eat one and keep the rest, then I will resolve to eat just one more and then close the cover, then I will open the cover again and resolve to eat one last piece, and then will notice since there is only 2 left, better just gobble them all up... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your menacing shadow didn't whack you for gasak all the cny cookies ah?

      Delete
    2. Hahaha my menacing shadow needs to sleep at night too. She used to stay up until we all go to bed, nowadays she cannot do that anymore. I feel sad that she is getting old, but I also feel glad I got more window of opportunity to "feast". I feel very conflicted now :/ ...

      Delete
    3. Spend more time chatting with your mother when you are back in kl then.

      Delete
  11. Good pineapple rolls are so difficult to find these days and their price tags are so scary at times. I must learn to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will be able to master the art of making them! :)

      Delete