Monday, January 25, 2021

Serawa Durian

Durian season is starting now. Last year (2020), I don't think I ate any durian at all so this year I will have to eat it to make it up for last year. So at 4.57 pm on 23.1.21 sat, I ate the above musang king durian, just one seed. Tastes good, creamy with a flat seed.

A pack of 500g musang king at MYR 75 nett. Bought from insta AkuDurian. So far, I have eaten one, he has eaten one, and I have given 4 away. No idea how many seeds are remaining in my freezer. Will eat them slowly.

Updated on tue 26.1.21, there were 4 seeds remaining which were all eaten on mon 25.1.21 so for MYR 75 Nett, there were a total of 10 seeds. MYR 7.50 Nett per seed which is lower priced than one Laduree Macaron.

My main interest is to buy this pack of serawa durian with steamed glutinous rice at MYR 12 Nett per pack. The musang king is bought as the companion to make the grab express trip worthwhile.

I can't believe that as someone who loves to eat durian that I only know about this durian dish now so I must buy it to try. According to this recipe in BM:

Serawa Durian is also known as pengat durian. Google search says serawa means sweet porridge in BM.

The serawa durian (brown gravy in the left compartment in the above photo) is made from durian, fresh coconut milk (santan), and I think a bit of brown sugar for the brown colour. It is very rich but not that sweet, just the natural sweetness of the durian. Tasty!

*** Sunday 24.1.21 ***

Supermarket day again. This time, no stock for cabbages and napa cabbages.

3 pm - ate 2 of 3 canelés from the fridge. Still one remaining. After this canelé, I didn't eat anything else on Sunday because I took a long evening nap and woke up too late to eat anything else for the day. Can't believe I just ate 3 items for the whole day. 🤦🏻‍♀️

2.30 pm - my favourite sunday Nasi Lemak. Bought 2 packs with a small portion of rice each for a total of MYR 14 Nett. Very tasty despite being a little bit too salty for me.

8 am - ate this whole slice of burnt cheese cake from Christine's bakery bought on Saturday 23.1.21 as breakfast before I went to buy grocery from 8.30 am to 9 am. A little bit too much for me as it is very rich so it lasted me till 2.30 pm.

22 comments:

  1. Ur usual nasi lemak sunday😁. Durian season started already? I didnt know tht coz i thought it was flooding on the past weeks in Pahang and supply could be low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, durian season is starting now. Nasi Lemak is sedap!

      Delete
  2. We never buy durian - will eat only when someone gives us. Avoiding our local fruits at the moment - most come from the jungle and many are sold by the people from the longhouses, all the clusters there including the one that caused the shocking outbreak in Sibu and throughout the whole state of Sarawak! Terrible!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good that you get free durian to eat. It won't spread through food so it is ok to buy food to support their local business. Just don't touch face n don't touch everywhere n always wash hands n sanitize.

      Delete
  3. Yupe! Start! Seeing people selling durians on the street and social media. Guess the durian season has really begun huh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I ate too much durians during the MCO. I thought I would slow down this year but my sister gave me fresh Musang King for my birthday. It will be nice if I could make Serawa Durian which is similar to a Thai Dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you are so blessed. Your sister knows you well to give u fresh musang king durian. You only need one seed of durian to make serawa durian. I am sure you could make it to enjoy eating it.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I saw 1 stall selling durian. Will wait for more durians to appear, then it will be cheaper. Fresh kampung durian is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully more will appear. Fresh kampung durians are good value for money.

      Delete
  6. Oh, is it durian season now? Don't see any in Ipoh yet.. or perhaps I did not notice.. hahaha.. with the MCO rules, I just go out and come home fast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any at roadside stalls but I see them selling online.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, now I want durian! LOL! I have tried canelés before but the one I bought was not well executed. Apparently it is quite difficult to bake it right. I hope the ones you had were good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The canelés from Burrows cafe, bsc are very tasty. I think they did it right. Last year I remember u ate a lot of durians. 😆

      Delete
  8. I was about to order durian then my dad had a tummy problem. So I postpone a bit. I have that pengat durian once in a while... somehow regularly encounter it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your father is feeling much better now. You must tell me where to buy pengat durian since you always encounter them. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Hmm I never buy it myself. Just encounter all the time during gatherings when other people bring. I have been in Malay-majority workplaces quite a bit.

      Delete
    3. Oic. That must have been before 18 mar 2020.

      Delete
  9. I have craving for cheesecake, am going to buy cheesecake later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time i learn about serawa durian.

    ReplyDelete