Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Trotter Jelly

I did not know that Pu Tien at the Garden Mall serves this trotter jelly dish because I did not notice it in the menu before. Previously, I have mentioned that I do not know where to find this "Zhu Jiao Dong" in KL eateries so when I saw it in the menu, I knew that I had to order it to try and so I did at MYR15.90++ (10% service charge and 6% SST = MYR18.44 nett).

The jelly is not those wobbly type but is quite solid in texture and is filled with pieces of pork rind. Initially I was afraid that the porky taste would be too strong so I was pleased when it wasn't and when I ate it with the chili paste on top, the chili covered all the porky taste so it was delicious. Furthermore it was not cold so customers who are not used to eating cold savoury dish could eat this dish without any issues.

Fortunately the portion is not big so the 4 of us were able to finish it. The standard porcelain spoon is for size comparison. 

Deep fried yellow croaker fish at MYR 41.90++ (MYR 48.60 nett) which is very crispy so we ate everything - bones, head, fins, and tail. So now we have tried this fish cooked in various method - steamed and braised with rice and now deep fried.

My friend wanted to try the oyster omelette at MYR 24.90++ (MYR 28.88 nett) which I have tried before. The waiter informed us that it is the dry and crispy type. I guess some customers must have asked them why it wasn't those starchy type. My friend is happy with this dish as she finds it tasty because it is crispy and not oily at all.

Napa cabbage (wong nga pak) soup at MYR 28.90++ (MYR 33.52 nett). There were lots of cabbage and a few pieces of bean curd puff (tao pok) in it. The soup is sweet due to the cabbage.

We did not expect the pot of soup to be such a big portion as we selected the small size option but we did finish it all with some effort.

Two of us shared a bowl of plain white rice at MYR 2.20++ (MYR 2.55 nett) and two of us shared this bowl of lor mee for 1 pax at MYR 13.90++ (MYR 16.12 nett).

The price of the Oyster Omelette has gone up by MYR 1 since the last time we ate it in Aug 2017 (was MYR 23.90++ a year ago) but the price of the 2 titbits (pickled jicama and braised Ping Zebra Lima Bean) has gone down by MYR 0.20 as it used to be MYR 6++

The total bill for 4 pax is MYR 154.85 nett after adding in 10% service charge (MYR 13.35 nett) and 6% SST (MYR 8.01 nett) so it is about MYR 39 per person which I find to be ok since we tried some dishes that we have not eaten before.

14 comments:

  1. The only food I had eaten cold is raw salmon, other than that, I have not tried any other cold food before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will like the cabbage soup because of the sweet tasting soup

      Delete
    2. This is not cold so you can try it because Pu Tien is from SG.

      Delete
    3. When you are eating at Pu Tien, you can also order the cabbage soup to try.

      Delete
  2. The oyster omelette looks...different, seems crunchy and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the very crispy type, no starchy bits at all.

      Delete
  3. Now that is one dish I would like to try. Trotter jelly. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder whether you can find it being sold anywhere near your place.

      Delete
  4. Heh so far I like all the food there, just whether a lot or not so much.

    Yeah I will be a bit geli with cold trotter jelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not cold so you can try it the next time you eat at Pu Tien. I think you may like it due to the chili flakes paste.

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I’ve always wanted to try trotter jelly! Looks good, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can just google for the recipe and make your own since you are such a good cook.

      Delete