Thursday, December 17, 2020

Patin Tempoyak

Patin Tempoyak. I finally get to taste a dish made from Tempoyak. Tempoyak is fermented durian. More information about Tempoyak can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempoyak

It tastes sourish like Assam and I ate one durian seed and one bunga kantan inside this dish. It is a little spicy in the mouth and felt hotter in the stomach. I found a recipe online for Tempoyak patin with bunga kantan in the recipe:

https://www.mingguanwanita.my/masak-ikan-patin-ikut-resepi-asli-temerloh-ini-lagi-pekat-kuah-tempoyak-lagi-sedap-1/

I found online that Patin Fish is Silver Catfish. From wiki, Bunga Kantan is Etlingera elatior (also known as torch ginger, ginger flower, red ginger lily, torch lily, wild ginger and many other terms).

The Patin Tempoyak set includes this rice, raw salad and red chilli sambal.

I bought another rice set called Ayam panggang kabsa which also includes rice which tastes like curry fried rice; raw onion vege salad and a garlic chilli dip.

Total bill including delivery off MYR 12 is MYR 28.23 Nett which is a good price considering it is inclusive of delivery.

Food panda lists this restaurant as Dine restaurant. Later I found out that this restaurant is a restaurant in the Espira Sri Petaling Hotel.

*** Wednesday 16 Dec 2020 d274 ***

8.28 am - fish mihun without milk from swee Heng at MYR 13 Nett bought today. I also bought pork Yee Mee MYR 7 for tomorrow and wanton Mee MYR 7.50 from BC&S coffee shop for tomorrow.

Added iceberg vege to the mihun.

8.44 am - My portion.

1 pm - shared a pack of Pasembor MYR 7 from swee Heng bought on this day itself.

1.20 pm - ate half the Patin Tempoyak fish set and the remaining half at 8 pm.

16 comments:

  1. I'm unable to accept the tempoyak taste & strong 'odour' although i m OK with the normal durian smell. I would prefer eating durian in its fresh form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you eat the Tempoyak? This Tempoyak fish has a light nice fragrance n only very slight durian smell. Very appetising cos sour n spicy in stomach only. Durian in fresh form n Tempoyak are different kettle of fish. Like comparing fresh napa cabbage n kimchi napa cabbage. 😋😋😋

      Delete
    2. I tried it in some malay stalls nearby the office. Not sure if that's supposed to be the taste of tempoyak coz I don't dare to try any other after that. Yea, it is different, as in some people can accept fresh napa cabbage but not the kimchi.

      Delete
    3. Hhmmm, I guess Tempoyak dishes also got different quality.

      Delete
  2. Oooooo...I would love this patin tempoyak! Will surely need a second plate of rice! Yumsss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourish wor. U don't like sourish dish, right?

      Delete
    2. Oh? Good tempoyak is not sourish. Lots of pantang when making like making our traditional Foochow red wine. The failed ones will be sour.

      Delete
  3. I love sourish dishes but am not a fan of tempoyak. I will choose your ayam panggang set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried many tempoyak dishes before?

      Delete
  4. The last time...I had tempoyak...was like...more than a decade ago when my late mother was still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ok with tempoyak dishes but not a big fan. Good price indeed - this fish dish is not cheap and the chicken portion is so big in the kabsa. Since you are such a small eater, this way is easier to store leftovers compared to having to bring containers when you eat out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is pandabox so got more discount. True, easier to keep. But I am not dining out forever I think. Haizzzz.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully got vaccine soon and we can put this whole chapter behind us.

      Delete
  6. I dont think i hv tasted tempoyak dishes before.

    ReplyDelete