Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Kam Kee HK Beef Curry

 Since 13.jan.21, people from KL are not allowed to go to Selangor and vice versa so I couldn't return the laptop to my previous employer of only about 4.5 months. From Friday 5.mar.21 onwards, it is allowed so yesterday, Monday 8.mar.21, I went to return the laptop and dropped by Starling Mall to buy takeaway food and grocery.

The shop unit facing Nando's used to be occupied by Bonfire which closed in Sep 2019.

Now it is occupied by Kam Kee Cafe, the only branch outside HK at this time. It opened on 22.jan.20, more than a year ago but I only knew about it recently when its advertisement popped up on insta.

This dish caught my eyes. The above is copied from their insta post.

So yesterday, I ordered the beef brisket curry to takeaway at 11.52 am and asked the lady at the cashier counter for a recommendation for another dish. She suggested yeung chow fried rice and I saw that this fried rice is indicated as a signature dish in the menu so I ordered it as per her recommendation. On hindsight, I should have ordered another dish that is unique to this cafe.

The beef brisket curry is of a sizable portion at MYR 24.80+ 6% st. The water bottle next to it is for size comparison.

4.53 pm - The fried rice is just like any other fried rice but the HK Beef brisket curry is quite unique. It has no curry taste as I know it. It is heavily spiced with onions, potatoes, pieces of beef in it. On the sweet side. Not hot spicy at all. I wouldn't even call it rich with coconut milk. It is thick and the taste is somewhat of 5-spice and I would say that the taste reminds me of the Sarawak laksa paste, a herby medicinal taste without the hot spiciness, a little of what I would describe as the "tit tar wine" 跌打酒 taste. When I was eating it, I got a tiny piece of fried salted fish in my mouth. For those who doesn't eat beef, I believe you can try to request them to swap with other meat to have a taste of HK curry. The beef is not that tender but not tough either, taste reminds me of beef jerky I ate in Taiwan.

I received these healthy snacks from I let you all guess who has kindly agreed to meet up with me because I wanted her to test some traditional pineapple open faced tarts that I bought. She is such a nice lady with kind, smiley eyes to give me these 3 packets of snacks. Both of us were wearing masks so we most probably could or couldn't recognize each other once this pandemic has completed its course. Thank you again. So good to have a short hi bye with you. 😊

12 comments:

  1. Ya, the curry looks really good while the fried rice is quite ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure whether or not you will like the taste of the beef curry.

      Delete
  2. The Kam Kee beef curry sounds very strange dunno if I want to try it. But I'd like the fried rice, a better bet I think. Seeing that you like cheese maybe you could try their cheese baked rice. Good to have met you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the way I described it makes it sounds strange than it really is. Perhaps my taste buds are off. It would be good to have your opinion about it too. It isn't really strange as it is a taste Chinese are familiar with. I wouldn't be able to consume a whole portion of cheese baked rice by myself in a day and would have to split it into two days. Thanks again for your time.

      Delete
  3. Doesn't sound like curry at all! Maybe better if they had named it something else then people wouldn't have the wrong expectations.

    Yeah it's so funny right, how to recognise people later with half their face covered by a mask! I believe all this masking is good for introverts.

    Oh you have left your new job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look of it is curry gravy but darker. I think just recognize them by their eyes. You are right, yes, goreng sotong myself from that new job though it is a good job.

      Delete
    2. I already have problem recognising people with headscarves haha. I mean with additional factors such as meeting a group of them for the first time and perhaps not seeing them again for a few days. Plus a mask as well would make it really difficult.

      Why the goreng-ing of sotong if it's a good job then?

      Delete
    3. Cos I foresee a post apocalyptic world is imminent so I better enjoy myself before that happens. Means I want to lepak kaw kaw so don't want to spend the majority of my time in front of a laptop la.

      Delete
  4. hmm...doesn't taste like curry...that's so unique! so nice of PH to give u 3 boxes of healthy snacks in exchange of the pineapple tarts! yea, it's hard to recognise people with mask on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not those curry that we know. More to japanese curry but with strong 5spice. Yes very nice of PH. Try to recognize the eyes. I think I will recognize her next time.

      Delete
  5. I love beef brisket curry. I prefer the beef to be softer and curry more spicy. One day someone was waving to me when I drove past but it took me some time to recognize my friend because she was wearing a mask. Easier for her to recognize me because I was driving and not wearing a mask in my car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This curry is not spicy at all. Hahahaha, ya a bit difficult to recognize with masks on.

      Delete