Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My favourite bao

Whenever I have my meal at Canton-I restaurant, it is a must for me to order a serving of steamed salted egg yolk custard taro buns ("lau sar bao" in Cantonese). The Chinese name listed in the menu is "香芋流沙奶皇包 - Xiāng yù liúshā nǎi huáng bāo". The literal translation is "Fragrant Taro Lava Cream King Bun".

A serving (MYR6.8) in a steamer bamboo basket contains two buns. To indicate that taro is used to make the bao's skin, they coloured it purple. The bao is quite big for a dim sum dessert bao hence the name "king".

This is what the "salted egg yolk lava" looks like after I tear the bun into two. I like the sweet and savoury strong creamy egg taste. I can only eat one at a time because any more I would feel satiated. The waitress advised us to eat the buns while they are still warm because the "lava" would solidify when cool and it would not taste good.

Of all the "lau sar bao" that I have eaten, I like this one from Canton-I best. I would prefer it to be smaller so that I can pop the whole bun into my mouth and then feel the "egg lava" ooze into my mouth. Really delicious!


11 comments:

  1. By looking at the last picture, can tell it's very yummy lo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lao sha bao, simply yummy! But the fillings is usually very hot, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have to be careful when eating this.

      Delete
  3. I have not tried Canton-i before, must go try one of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tasted Lau sar pau in Kuching, and I think it is messy with all the lava oozing out from the paus. Lol. But it tasted yummy. Don't mind trying out other places' Lau sar pau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have to be real careful when eating it to prevent the lava from flowing everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Ooh...I love this bao! Miss it so much...

    ReplyDelete