Thursday, August 17, 2017

Tororo Yamaimo

After reading PH's post about the Yuzu dipping broth I had to try it because I like the taste of Yuzu so there I was at Mitsuyado SeiMen, Starling Mall to eat Tsukemen (dipping ramen/noodles).

Tororo Yamaimo and Quill egg Tsukemen (Regular portion) at MYR31.90+ (10% service charge so the nett price is MYR35.10). The broth in this meal is Yuzu dipping broth, a very thick and flavourful broth with a hint of yuzu taste.

Guide to eating Tsukemen: 1. Choose hot or cold noodles (we chose hot noodles because we have eaten cold noodles before). 2. Dip noodles in broth. 3. Slurp noodles. 4. Add dashi soup to the thick broth to adjust the taste in order to drink the soup.

I ordered the above Tsukemen set because I have eaten this Tororo Yamaimo in Japan and I like the taste a lot so when I saw this dish on the menu I jumped at the chance to order it. Yamaimo means Mountain Yam and Tororo Yamaimo means Grated Mountain Yam which is a sticky slimy paste made from Mountain Yam. It is a cold dish. I like it because I can taste the "raw" natural very slightly sweet taste of the mountain yam through this cold dish. 

Although I don't like to eat raw eggs, after mixing the raw quill egg yolk into the yam paste, it is as if the raw egg is not there so I find the taste of this dish matches my expectation from my experience eating it in Japan. I would recommend adventurous foodie to try this dish and be prepared to dislike it. If you find you like it, it would be a nice surprise. Next round, I am going to try the natto tsukemen. Natto is fermented soybeans.   

The thick yuzu dipping broth contains lots of ingredients in it but I did not take time to identify what they were because I was too busy eating them.

Cheese Tsukemen (Regular portion) - MYR29.90+ (MYR32.90 nett). The broth provided is also yuzu dipping broth. The cheese is melted cheddar cheese. The taste reminds me of the cheese in McD cheese burgers.

We did dilute the thick broth with dashi soup in order to drink it. I taste the dashi soup on its own and like the clear taste of dashi and daikon (chinese white radish).

Roasted pork with egg ramen (regular portion) - MYR28.90+ (MYR31.80 nett). There is only one slice of pork. The broth is very flavourful. The ramen noodle is very different from the Tsukemen noodle. The latter has a "kansui" (alkaline salt) taste to it and the noodle is fatter so I prefer Tsukemen because I like the taste of "kansui" in noodles.

Yuzu sorbet and Black Sesame Ice cream - MYR5.90+ each (MYR6.50 nett). I will order Yuzu sorbet again.

Total bill for 4 pax is MYR144.55 nett and we took a lot of Tsukemen noodles home because we could not finish them.

Still a queue during peak hours. I will be back to try the Natto Tsukemen

20 comments:

  1. Will like to try it if I have a chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you slurp? They say it is rude if you eat quietly! LOL!!! Oh no! A queue! Count me out then. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no cos the broth will splash on me if I slurp. go during non peak hours no queue.

      Delete
  3. I would like to try this if I have the chance. I remember PH's post on the yuzu dipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Queuing means the food must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. long queue means good! I would like to try 'em out too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've yet to try Tsukemen! Interesting tho..... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you visited and liked what you ate! Now I am curious about the tororo yamaimo and I will try it on my next visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now you got me all curious to know whether you will like or dislike it, hehehe.

      Delete
  8. Good advertisement for the business when the queue is long! Surely the food must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm you have a taste for the real thing then. I'll pass on the "sticky slimy paste" hehe. At least the dipping broth has ingredients inside... at first I thought you only get the "sauce" and the egg with the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I guess cold slimy paste is not your thing.

      Delete
  10. Now both you and PH are luring me to go too!! I know I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are adventurous so you will try the grated mountain yam, right?

      Delete