Monday, August 21, 2017

Box over mooncakes

4 mini mooncakes in a nice jewellery/jewelry glass/mirror box. There are 4 designs for the box: flower, swans, blue peacock and white peacock. This swan design is popular for the romantics. Glass/mirror lined the 4 sides of the box and also the top so the grey border around the inner dark square where the swans are, is the reflection of the walls and ceiling and not the artwork.

I did not know that white peacock exists until I searched online for information about white peacocks. According to many websites, white peacocks are not albinos, they are a genetic variant of the blue peacocks. After watching white peacocks videos online, I think they are more beautiful than the usual peacocks we see in our local zoos.

The boxes have LED lights and are operated by a switch inside the box which is powered by two AAA batteries (I did not take the batteries out to confirm that they are AAA batteries but since they are so slim, I think they are AAA batteries and not AA batteries).

This is how the interior looks like. It is too dark to be seen in the photo above but there are a few slots for rings to be stored.

I selected Set A and Set B but I think Set D gives the most value for money. My friend who is a member helped us buy these mooncake sets so that we could get the 20% discount resulting in MYR110.40 nett per box inclusive of 4 mini mooncakes.

I pre-ordered the blue peacock and swans boxes but the hotel gave my friend the white peacock box by mistake and then I thought maybe white peacock looks better so I did not exchange the box for a blue peacock box. What do you think? Blue or White peacock?

This is the flower design with real pearls. My friend thinks this box design gives the most value for money because of the pearls.

So far we only cut one mooncake to try. The yellow bean is mung bean and the golden pandan is lotus paste with pandan flavour. Tastes nice, more to salty than sweet for this one. I am not too particular about the mooncakes as long as the taste is acceptable because I bought them for the jewellery/jewelry boxes which I plan to give away as gifts after I have eaten the mooncakes. :D

26 comments:

  1. I prefer the swan designs hee hee, I am the romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me to choose between blue or white peacock, I choose blue

      Delete
    2. thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Mooncakes are here again! Often, one pays for the packaging but I wouldn't mind if on the whole, they are not too expensive. Some are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are competing with each other on the packaging and new types of mooncakes.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful box. I would not dare to look at the price. Giving me heartattack!!

    I never knew of a white peacock. Now I know thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome! if each mini mooncake is 15 then the box would be 50.40 so is the box worth this price?

      Delete
  4. nice peacock box! but I tink I will spend my $$ on the mooncakes rather than the box...lol! I like white peacock more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah so you prefer food than beautiful boxes. thanks for feedback on peacock.

      Delete
  5. Wahhh.. what a beautiful jewelry mooncake box!!! This is the first time I am seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you may get a surprise from your sons! ;)

      Delete
  6. LOL! I do that too - choose the box instead of the mooncakes! I can't decide between the white and the blue peacock. Both are pretty in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I'm in love with these mooncake boxes, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wonder what are the other boxes like from other sellers.

      Delete
  8. Very nice jewelry boxes. I like the white peacock but I rather spend my money on the moon cakes. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I have never seen such fancy mooncake boxes!

    Red bean is the cheapest mooncake type so any set with it will be LEAST value for money hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's why they use Jspanese red bean.

      Delete
    2. as I think Japanese red bean is more expensive than local red bean.

      Delete
    3. Or just want to justify the high price hehe.

      Delete
    4. normal red bean normal size mooncake is also about MYR16 to MYR30 depending on brand names.

      Delete
  10. This is the most high class moon cake boxes I have seen. I am always attracted to their boxes more than eating the moon cakes! I love both the white & blue peacocks!I was wondering whether a Phoenix would be suitable for moon cakes too, since it's a Chinese legendary bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah you are truly an artistic person to think of phoenix. Good idea!

      Delete
  11. very high-end stuff. I would imagine most people, myself included, would buy the mooncakes rather than the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a demand for the boxes because the boxes were available on Sunday and by Thursday, all the swans and peacocks design are sold out leaving only the flower boxes. Due to the demand, the hotel is ordering another batch of boxes.

      Delete